The minor in Cinema and Media Studies requires the completion of six courses, the first of which should be CMST 10100: Introduction to Film. Students should aim to take this course early in their undergraduate career or at the beginning of their minor course of study. It must be taken no later than Spring Quarter of year 3.
Courses in the minor may not be double-counted with the student's major(s) or with other minors and may not be counted toward general education requirements. All classes toward the minor must be taken for quality grades, and more than half of the requirements for the minor must be met by registering for courses bearing University of Chicago course numbers.
- CMST 10100: Introduction to Film
- Two of the following:
- CMST 28500: History of International Cinema I: Silent Era
- CMST 28600: History of International Cinema II: Sound to 1960
- CMST 28700: History of International Cinema III: 1960 to Present
- Three additional CMST elective courses
Declaring the Minor
Students who would like to minor in Cinema and Media Studies must complete a Minor Approval Form and submit it to the department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The completed Minor Approval Form will be sent to the student’s Academic Adviser once it has been signed by the DUS.