Upcoming Events - Winter 2021
Documentary Screening + Discussion: 'Bias Out of the Box - Unpacking Algorithms of Power'
- Friday February 26, 2021 - 6:30pm
- Conversation with director Shalini Kantayya
What does it mean when artificial intelligence (AI) increasingly governs our liberties? And what are the consequences for the people AI is biasedagainst? The event is an opportunity to engage with the urgent themes covered in the award winning documentary Coded Bias. Please register in advanced.
Film Screening + Q&A: 'Stray'
- Thursday March 11, 2021 - 7:00pm
- Participants - Elizabeth Lo (filmmaker), Sasha Crawford-Holland (CMS PhD student)
Through the eyes of three stray dogs wandering the streets of Istanbul, Elizabeth Lo's documentary Stray explores what it means to live as a being without status or security. More information about this event can be found on the Film Studies Center event page.
How to watch: Register for the screening here. A few days before the event, you will receive a link to the screening. After the film, the Q&A will take place on our Twitch channel, twitch.tv/filmstudiescenter.
Highlighted Events from AY21 and AY20
"Full Zoom: Doc Productions 2020 Screening" - four short documentaries highlight the creative work made by University of Chicago students. Produced during Prof. Judy Hoffman’s Documentary Production classes in AY2020, these films provide an enlightening and entertaining panorama of life in Chicago (October 2020)
Mihaela Mihailova, Michigan State University "Computer Generated Ideology: The Neoliberal Multi-Verse of Contemporary US Studio Animation" Hannah Frank Memorial Lecture (February 2020)
Recent FSC Graduate Student Curatorials -
- Dave Burnham - "Devotional Form: Films by Nathaniel Dorsky"
- Sasha Crawford-Holland - "Indigenous Futurisms in VR"
- Panpan Yang - screening of "Sacrificed Youth (青春祭)"
Annual CMS Graduate Student Conference
The 2021 CMS Graduate Student Conference "Site/Seeing" is being organized by Jenisha Borah, Maggie Sivit, and Ashley Truehart. This conference had been delayed from 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Previous Conferences and Organizers:
- 2019 "Documenting the Archive", organized by Sean Batton, Rita Kaushik, and Cinta Peleja. Keynote address - Paula Amad (University of Iowa)
- 2018 "Sensing Media", organized by Dave Burnham, Gary Kafer, and Amy Skjerseth. Keynote address - Mark Hansen (Duke University)
- 2017 "Trauma and Melodrama", organized by AP Pettinelli, Tyler Schroeder, and Tien-Tien Jong Zhang. Keynote address - Elisabeth Anker (George Washington University)
- 2016 "Still Walking, Still Sleeping, Still Life: Slow Aesthetics and the Moving Image", organized by Zain Jamshaid, Katerina Korola, and Pao-chen Tang. Keynote address - Jean Ma (Stanford University)
- 2015 "Performing Bodies: Gesture, Affect, and Embodiment on Screen", organized by Matt Hubbell, Noa Merkin, and Nicole Morse. Keynote address - Elena Gorfinkel (UW-Milwaukee)