Upcoming Events - Autumn 2019
Thursday Oct. 17 @5PM - Alice Lovejoy (University of Minnesota) "The “Modern Child” and the Moving Image: Studying Children and Cinema during the Cold War"
Friday Oct. 25 - Saturday Oct. 26 - "The Attraction of the Moving Image: A Celebration of Tom Gunning". Please join us for the celebration of Tom Gunning's career!
- Featuring presentation from the following guests:
Dudley Andrew, Jennifer Bean, Synne Bull + Dragan Miletic, Marc Donnie + Paul Kaiser, Thomas Elsaesser, Giovanna Fossati, André Gauderault, Ernie Gehr, Ken Jacobs, Lewis Klahr, Jodie Mack, Charles Musser, Jan Olsson, William Paul, Murray Pomerance, Travis Preston, Vivian Sobchak, Noa Steimatsky, Yuri Tsivian, and Marketa Uhlirova.
Annual CMS Graduate Student Conference
Previous Conferences and Organizers:
- 2019 "Documenting the Archive", organized by Sean Batton, Rita Kaushik, and Cinta Peleja. Keynote address - Paula Amad (University of Iowa)
- 2018 "Sensing Media", organized by Dave Burnham, Gary Kafer, and Amy Skjerseth. Keynote address - Mark Hansen (Duke University)
- 2017 "Trauma and Melodrama", organized by AP Pettinelli, Tyler Schroeder, and Tien-Tien Jong Zhang. Keynote address - Elisabeth Anker (George Washington University)
- 2015 "Performing Bodies: Gesture, Affect, and Embodiment on Screen", organized by Matt Hubbell, Noa Merkin, and Nicole Morse. Keynote address - Elena Gorfinkel (UW-Milwaukee)
"Frame by Frame: A Tribute to Hannah Frank" (May 10 2019)
Jennifer Wild "How to See One Man's Body: An Experiment in Historical Perception" (February 18 2019; event hosted by Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality)
David Bordwell "Geometries of Popular Narrative" (January 24 2019)
Jennifer Fay "Must We Mean What We Film? Stanley Cavell and the Candid Camera" (November 1 2018)
Bazin@100 - conference marking the centennial of the birth of French film critic and theorist André Bazin (October 11-13 2018)