M.F.A. Yale University School of Art, 1991
Laura Letinsky is a Professor in the Department of Visual Arts. Originally from Canada, she moved to the United States to attend the Yale University School of Art from where she recieved her Master of Fine Arts degree in 1991. She previously taught at Bennington College, The University of Houston, and the Yale Norfolk Summer Program. "Venus Inferred," a series of large color photographs of couples has been shown in solo exhibitions including: the Guy McIntyre Gallery, NY; Presentation House, Vancouver; Lawndale Arts Center, Houston, TX; pArts Gallery, Minneapolis, MN; and Optica Gallery, Montreal, QUE. A monograph of these photographs with an essay by Lauren Berlant (Professor of English, U of C) was published by the University of Chicago Press in 2000. Selected group exhibitions include: Domesticated, Worcester Art Museum. MA; Verisimilitudes and the Utility of Doubt, White Columns Gallery, New York, NY; The Body Photographic, New Orleans, LO, and; The Pleasures and Terrors of Domestic Comfort, The Museum of Modern Art, NYC. The work has been published in White Columns Gallery 1995, Mirror Paradox, and Critical Inquiry. Collections include the San Francisco MOMA, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography. She has begun a new series of photographs, still-lifes that explore the formal relationships between ripeness and decay, delicacy and awkwardness, control and haphazardness, waste and plenitude, pleasure and sustenance. In winter 2002, she had a solo exhibition of "Morning and Melancholia" at Edwynn Houk Gallery in New York.
Photography: artistic practice of black and white and color photography; feminist issues of representation and identity in mainstream genres, in particular romance, erotica, and pornography; visual cultures of art and cinema.
Selected Publications and Catalogues:
- Venus Inferred, University of Chicago Press, Photographs, 2000.
- "Intimacy", Critical Inquiry, Winter 1997-98, Photographs w. essay by Joel Snyder.
- (catalogue) Museum of Contemporary Photography, Winter, 1997, Photographs w. essay by Lynne Tillman.
- Surface:Contemporary Photographic Practice, Booth Clibborn Publishers, England, Photographs, 1997.
- "On Books," Book Review, New Art Examiner, May, 1997 (E.J. Bellocq, Nobuyoshi Araki, Nan Goldin, and Aura Rosenberg).
- (catalogue) "Verisimilitudes and the Utility of Doubt," White Columns 1995, White Columns Gallery, New York, NY, Photographs.
- Artforum, June 1998. Review by Nico Israel.
- Parachute, Summer 1998. Review by Elizabeth Anderson.
- The Village Voice, February 4-10, 1998. Review by Vince Alletti.
- The New York Times, Friday, January 23, 1998. Review by Grace Gluek.
- The Art Newspaper, November 1997. Interview with Max McKinna.
- The Times-Picayune, Friday, January 27, 1995. Article by Chris Waddington.
- The Vancouver Sun, Saturday, October 1, 1994. Review.