Resources for Students, Faculty, and Staff

Graduate and Undergraduate Students

For an in-depth look at all the resources available to students, go to the CMS wiki pages for current graduate and undergraduate students

For film libraries, collections, and groups, please refer to either of our pages for resources on campus, and in the Chicago area, and the CMS wiki page for film resources.

  • Ask the Gargoyle: 
    • UChicagoGRAD will answer any questions / respond to issues related to your UChicago graduate student experience to when you submit the form found here.
  • Grad Guide Weekly (GGW): 
  • Campus and Community Safety: 
  • Health and Insurance:
  • Family Resource Center: operated through UChicagoGRAD, the FRC provides a welcoming space where all university-affiliated families from the university community can access resources, information, and supportive programming and services.
    • Parental Relief Policy - the policy on University benefits for graduate students who become parents while enrolled is located in the Graduate Student Manual here.
  • Religious Absences: in the event you find yourself facing conflicts with religious observations, contact your instructors in advance and make arrangements to meet academic requirements. Please go here for more info.
    • The Dean of Rockefeller Chapel can be reached at 773-702-8282 or by email.

Support in Emergency Situations

  • Should you experience a personal emergency, you do not need to face it alone. The Dean of Students, along with the Dean-on-Call (who you can reach here), is willing and able to assist and provide support.
  • If you have an emergency and need to go to the Emergency Room of the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC), it may not occur to you to contact the Dean of Students or the dean-on-call for assistance. We have developed an electronic form, called HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) authorization, that allows you to indicate in advance who you would like to reach out to you should you be in the emergency room of UCMC. Questions about the HIPAA authorization can be directed to Belinda Cortez Vazquez.

Tech Support and IT

  • Go here for general resources from UChicago's IT Services. If you need help with email, connectivity, wifi, or University interfaces and services, you can contact IT Services by email, calling 773-702-5800, or visiting the TECHB@R on the first floor of the Regenstein Library. You can also visit this site for help with common questions about University email and other issues.
  • If you're using a computer issued by the Division of the Humanities, need help with a Divisional website, wiki, or blog, or have another Divisional computer/IT issue, get in touch with Humanities Computing by email or calling 773-702-6085.


  • Go here to get information about Facilities services and resources, including contact information for submitting service requests, and updates on-campus construction. Alternately, you can submit a service request for an office or classroom through the Department Administrator.

Getting Reimbursed and Reimbursing Visitors

Payroll / Self Service

  • For issues with payroll, check with your supervisor first.
  • If you're a Course Assistant, Lecturer, or a BA Preceptor, inquire about your paycheck with the College. If you're not sure whom to contact, check with the Department Administrator or Department Assistant

College Evaluations

  • Go here to view evaluations from College courses beginning in Winter 2003; some students include reviews for their Course Assistants.

Grants and Fellowships

Graduate Student Travel Fund

  • Graduate Student Affairs has announced an increase in award amounts available to support graduate student travel. This fund supports doctoral students presenting at professional academic conferences and can also be used for short term overseas research. For more information, go here.


Faculty and Staff

For an in-depth look at all the resources available to faculty and staff, go to the CMS wiki page on resources. Below there is a summarized list of commonly requested reources, which are fully explained on the CMS wiki.

  • Benefits
  • Cross-listing Courses
  • Evaluations
  • GEMS
  • Reimbursing Students and Guests
  • Faculty and Staff Handbooks
  • Hiring Research Assistants and Student Workers
  • IT Services & Humanities Computing

Title IX for Students. Faculty, and Staff

Refer to the Equal Opportunities site here for detailed information on Title IX, and other programs in place to protect students, staff, and faculty. 

Title IX and the University Policy on Harassment, Discrimination, and Sexual Misconduct 

  • Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. This includes all forms of sex discrimination against program participants. Including sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking (referred to here as "sexual misconduct"). 
  • The University is committed to taking necessary action to stop, prevent, and remedy instances of sexual misconduct. 
  • Individuals who have experienced any form of sexual misconduct are not obligated to engage with University offices or respond to institutional outreach regarding the matter. In some instances, the University may need to move forward based on information already received. If this occurs, the individuals involved will be notified. 
  • Reporting an incident to a Title IX Coordinator is private and doesn't mean the person who experienced the incident somehow loses control of the process. Individuals may choose not to move forward with the disciplinary process and may still request support services and/or accommodations. 
  • Retaliation of any kind is strictly prohibited for either party involved with the reporting and adjudication of incidents.

University Disciplinary Processes 

  • The University has disciplinary processes in place to investigate and, when warranted, adjudicate sexual misconduct.  
  • Contacts 
    • Jeremy or 773-702-5243, Associate Dean of Students in the University for Disciplinary Affairs, or his designee, can discuss processes with anyone who is considering or wishes to make a complaint about a student
    • Bridget or 773-834-6367, Associate Provost and Title IX Coordinator for the University, or her designee, can discuss processes with anyone who is considering or wishes to make a complaint about faculty, other academic appointees, postdoc researchers, staff members, or others

Confidential and Private Resources 

  • Private Resources 
    • While faculty and staff members will not share any information you choose to disclose with other faculty, staff, students, etc., faculty and staff members are considered to be Individuals with Title IX Reporting Responsibilities. This means that faculty and staff must report all incidents of sexual misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator. For a full list of University employees who are considered Individuals with Title IX Reporting Responsibilities, please refer to the Equal Opportunity Programs site linked at the beginning of the Title IX section on this page. 
  • Confidential Resources 
    • Unlike private resources, confidential resources will not reveal your identity or report any identifiable details regarding incidents of sexual misconduct to a Title IX Coordinator without your consent. 
    • The following resources are confidential: 
      • Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call (773-834-HELP) 
        • Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 
        • Answers any questions related to sexual misconduct here
      • Ordained Religious Advisors in Spiritual Life (773-702-2100) 
      • Student Health Service (773-702-4156) 
      • Student Counseling Service (773-702-9800) 
        • Has a staff member on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Interim Protective Measures and Accommodations 

  • Students who have reported sexual misconduct have the right to request interim protective measures and/or reasonable accommodations, including but not limited to: 
    • Changes to academic, living, dining, working, or transportation situations 
    • Obtaining and enforcing a University-issued no contact directive 
    • Assistance in obtaining an order of protection or no contact order in State court 
    • Medical assistance (including information on preserving evidence) 
    • Legal/law enforcement options (including assistance with notifying local law enforcement) 
    • Safety planning 
    • On- and off-campus referrals and resources 
    • Assistance with accessing and navigating campus and local health and mental health services, counseling, and advocacy 
    • Referral to the disciplinary process 
    • Having their report recorded and tracked 
    • Wellness coaching/HPW workshops 

Other Contacts 

  • For Filing a Report 
  • 773-834-6367 
  • 24-Hour Resources 
    • City of Chicago Police Emergency: 911 
    • University of Chicago Police Department: 773-702-8181 or 123 from any campus phone 
    • University of Chicago Medicine Emergency Department: 773-702-6250; 5656 S Maryland Ave 
    • Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call: 773-834-HELP (4357) 
    • Student Counseling Service: 773-702-9800 
  • Additional Resources 
    • City of Chicago Police Non-Emergency: 311 or 312-744-5000 
    • Disciplinary Affairs: 773-702-5243;  
    • Student Health Service: 773-702-4156; 
    • Office for Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Support; Prevention Initiatives and Programming: 773-834-7738; 
    • Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline: 888-293-2080 
    • YWCA: 866-525-9922