Prerequisite Course Requirements
To be considered for this option, students must have taken at least 3 production classes by the end of Autumn Quarter of their fourth year in the College.
- Two of these classes must originate within CMS (CMST 23930; 23931; 28920).
- These classes should be combined to fulfill the further electives triplet in the CMS concentration.
- One of these courses may be taken during Autumn Quarter of the student’s fourth year in the College.
- Courses must be taken in their sequence (CMST 23930 and 23931) and prerequisites must be met.
- Introduction to Photography may be counted toward this requirement.
- One screenwriting course offered by TAPS or Creative Writing may be approved to count toward this requirement.
Proposing a Creative Thesis Project
By the seventh week of Spring Quarter of the third year, students will meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies to declare their intention to complete a creative BA thesis project option. At this time, students will submit a written proposal that describes the project and suggests a timeline for the work to be accomplished. The writing of screenplays alone will not be considered for the creative thesis option.
The Director of Undergraduate Studies and one other CMS faculty member will evaluate all proposals for the creative BA project option. Decisions will be made by the last week of Spring Quarter, and will be based primarily on the feasibility and quality of the project, and the student’s performance in required production classes. The number of projects approved may be limited by the advising capacity of the CMS faculty.
Further Requirements for the Creative Option
Senior Creative Thesis Workshop
Students who are accepted into the creative BA thesis option are required to enroll in the Senior Creative Thesis Workshop during the Winter Quarter of the fourth year in the College. This class does not count toward the CMS distribution requirements in the major, nor does it substitute for enrollment in Senior Colloquium.
An accompanying paper establishing the relationship of the creative film or video component of the project to film, video, or media history, theory, or modes of production is required. This paper may incorporate an analysis of the production and post-production process. The paper will be submitted at the time of final submission of the creative work.